Okeechobee Christian Academy began as Grace Christian Schools, a ministry of the Grace Brethren Church of Okeechobee in August of 1976 with a student body of eighteen. The school has come a long way from its humble beginning in 1976, with three grades and two teachers. In 2007 the Grace Brethren Church recognized the need to expand the scope of this ministry by offering a top quality, holistic Christian education for the Greater Okeechobee area. In order to accomplish this transformation the Grace Brethren began the process by inviting other churches to join in partnership with them in this new venture. Additionally the school’s name was changed to Okeechobee Christian Academy to reflect its new community-wide character and inter-denominational composition. We now have programs from Pre-K 3 to 12th grade and students participating in dual enrollment at Indian River State College. We have 20 teachers on staff, with our middle school and high school students switching classes throughout the day. This year we have been able to offer Art, Music, Spanish, Drama, and Agriculture along with our standard ABeka curriculum.
Purpose and Mission
Okeechobee Christian Academy exists to support parents and the church in the common goal of “raising up a child in the way he/she should go.” Our mission is to equip the minds and nurture the hearts of these young people, preparing them to be Christian leaders who love Christ with their whole heart, soul, mind and strength and who seek to be a transforming influence in their world.
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative, unerring Word of God (II Timothy 3:15, II Peter 1:21).
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30).
- We believe in the deity of Christ (John 10:33); His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23, Luke 1:35); His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 7:26); His miracles (John 2:11); His vicarious and atoning death (I Corinthians 15:3, Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 2:9); His resurrection (John 11:25, I Corinthians 15:4); His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19); and His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11, Revelation 19:11).
- We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature, that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ, and that only by God's grace and through faith alone we are saved (John 3:16-19, John 5:24, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8-9, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost. They that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:9, I Corinthians 12:12-13, Galatians 3:26-28).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Romans 8:13-14, I Corinthians 3:16, I Corinthians 6:19-20, Ephesians 4:30, 5:18).